Sunday, September 30, 2007

"Painting" Pumpkins

So I saw online how some of my friends had made these "glittered pumpkins" and thought it looked fun. (http://tinyurl.com/35akss) I'm so not a Martha Stewart person (at all), but this was one of those DIY kits that they sell at Michaels, so we decided to give it a try. I thought Lana might like shaking the glitter on the pumpkins if I did the glue for her. Unfortunately, in the midst of all these plans, I guess I didn't quite explain to Brent the chaos and mess that this activity would entail. I mistakenly thought he understood that 16 month olds plus glitter means glitter everywhere and a mess. Apparently Brent HATES glitter. Still in the end, we had a lot of fun. Lana used water to "paint" her pumpkin while I painted mine with glue.




She even "shook" some glitter on it (with the glitter closed).



Then I let her dump it all over the ones that I had put the glue one. She poured it all over the pumpkin, the table, her chair and herself, of course, but had a great time doing it.



Of course, her favorite part of the whole activity had to be the clean-up. Even the freezing water coming out of the hose couldn't discourage her from splashing around in it and screaming when we finally shut it off.




Here's the finished product at any rate.



2 comments:

Chris said...

cute idea. We may have to try that out. You're brave to have glitter, glue and a toddler in the same room together! Ha!ha!

Erin Kathleen said...

Definitely not an activity for the faint of heart (like my husband). :-) Yes, the glitter was everywhere, but it was fun. We were outside so it wasn't too bad on the clean up - hose the kid down, hose the porch and table down and you're done. The glitter that came with the kit was really really fine - like sand - so that just make it that much worse. I think I'm going to let her use regular glitter on paper from now on. It's at least a little easier to get off.