Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Recipe Wednesday - Cheesy Potatoes and Ham

So a bunch of my friends have been asking for recipe ideas. For some unknown reason, I seem to be cooking a lot when I'm chatting with them or when they're over. So I'm going to try to start a weekly recipe post. I'll even include pics if I have any, but I don't today.

To start us off, here's one of our all-time favorites. I adapted a recipe from my breast cancer cookbook that Mom gave me a while back. I took the recipe for easy scalloped potatoes and added the ham. Here's my version:

Ingredients:
1 package (2 lbs) frozen southern style hash browns (the cube ones)
2-3 cups shredded cheese (I like a Mexican blend, but plain cheddar would work too)
1 pint sour cream
2 cans cream of potato soup
2 tablespoons minced onion (or one packet of onion soup mix)
1/2 cup milk
1-2 ham steaks cut into small pieces/cubes

Directions:
preheat oven to 325 deg F
Heat soup and cheese until cheese is completely melted in large saucepan
Take off heat and add other ingredients (leaving a little cheese out to top)
Bake at 325 for at least 2-2.5 hours in covered, greased/buttered casserole dish
Remove cover and sprinkle cheese on top
Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until cheese on top is browned


Although you really have to think ahead on this dish because it takes so long to cook, I love that it's so easy to throw together and has so few ingredients. It's great because I can throw it together at nap time and then it's ready for dinner. I also do it a lot when I have a shoot or meeting in the evening because it's easy for Brent to pull out of the the oven and feed the girls and still good for me to eat whenever I get home.

No comments: