Saturday, September 20, 2008

Open House at Lana's Preschool

So Brent and I went to an open house at Lana's preschool on Thursday night and it was really good. We both really like the teachers (She has three plus a music/gym teacher.) and the program in general. The school seems better organized and structured without being unreasonable for a two-year-old. Their daily schedule is something like:

Free Play
Circle Time
Music or Gym (music one day, gym the other)
Snack
Outside Play
Religion (story time or they go to the church or whatever)
Craft
Lunch
Nap/quiet play
Dismissal

It floats and they don't necessarily get to everything ever day, but that's the plan. Music sounds a lot like Lana's Kindermusik. Gym sounds more like a Gymboree type class, but they're doing some yoga (along with the other stuff) and talking about nutrition (as much as a two-year-old can understand). And they're singing "This Little Light of Mine" in music (along with other stuff). Thank goodness they told me what they were singing. Lana keeps talking about the "Sunshine Song" and I have gone through every sunshine song I know and they were all wrong. I never would have come up with that one.

They totally know a different kid than I do. Apparently, Lana is totally happy, go-lucky. She does everything she's told all the time, is a "tough little cookie," and never whines or cries. I have no idea who they're talking about, but my kid whines a lot, is stubborn as anything and is scared of almost everything including her Brown Bear book some days. Apparently, they went to church yesterday and talked about being quiet in church and saying a prayer and then they all got blessed by Father Tran including my kid who marched right up there happy as can be. Are you sure you're talking about Lana? The little one who wears nothing but dresses and sandals? Yes? Oh and they say grace before snack and lunch. How cute is that? This program is also more diverse than her old one and more comfortable for me being a Catholic school and all. I love it! I'm really happy we made the move, even though I know I miss all my friends over at Wee Care (as does Lana). We try to get together with them as often as we can, but it's definitely not as often as we'd like.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Isn't it funny how the teachers get different stuff out of our kids?! Glad you are liking the new school.

MaryG said...

Sounds like the perfect place for Cutie Pie! Good for you for finding it and making the change!