Saturday, February 06, 2010

Potty Training Calli - Day One

I should start this by saying we had no intention of starting potty training Calli. Our/my original plan was to PT her over Christmas break. With me on bedrest then and with everything else going on, we decided to wait. I thought we'd wait until this summer...or at least until it got warmer when we could let her run around naked. But she is so ready and she's been complaining if her diaper isn't on exactly right, so we just did it. We're a cold-turkey potty training family. No pull-ups (except at nap/night) and all that. Just go to panties and hope for the best (expecting plenty of accidents, etc.).

Well, we put Calli in panties today just to see how she'd do. She said she wanted to, so why not? Worst case, we could put her back in diapers after an accident. I can proudly say she didn't have an accident until 6pm...but she also didn't go in the potty all day. She just held it until naptime when she peed a few times in her pull-up. Then she had an accident at dinner time. Finally tonight at 8pm, she's insisting she needs to go potty and we assume it's another stall technique, but Brent takes her. She not only pees in the potty but also poops in the potty. Unfortunately, Brent was so surprised and excited, he started yelling when he heard her peeing in the potty and she freaks and cries. I think she understood we were excited not mad and it was a good thing. She got M&Ms which she thought was the best and she was all excited too.

We'll see how she does tomorrow. We were gonna go to the office to get everything set up. I dunno if I have the energy for that. Besides, if we're going to PT Calli, we need to just do it...which means staying home and leaving her in panties/naked. Oh yeah, good news is she hated being in wet pants and jeans. We'll try that again tomorrow. That'll help speed her along, though I think she's halfway there. Who knows? Maybe today was a fluke. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Wish us luck.

As a side note - Brent and the girls did great today taking care of Declan while I went to a shoot. I was only gone 2.5 hours since it was finishing up a shoot we started but got rained out halfway through. Still, I was impressed the Brent was ready to stay home alone with all three already. I totally wouldn't be ready for it if I didn't have to be. Then again, I guess he probably wouldn't be either if he didn't have to. Just part of being a parent and working weird schedules.

No comments: