Friday, March 09, 2007

Poor Lana has croup!

Well, today after Kindermusik, we went to Central Market. Lana seemed to have a lot of fun there and I got lots of fresh fruits and veggies, but she was making a strange sound every once in a while. I would have called it wheezing, but apparently that's something different in the medical community. It was kinda like the gasping sound someone makes when they're having an asthma attack or choking and having trouble breathing. At first, I thought she had just gotten something caught in her throat or something, but nothing was there. Then I thought maybe she just figured out how to make that sound and was doing it for fun since it was usually when she was laughing or crying or whatever. Either way, Brent was away for a few days and it was scaring me so I ended up calling the pediatrician who told me to bring her in. Apparently, even though she's not actually coughing the croup cough (or much of any cough), the doctor thinks she has croup. I think she probably got it on one of the airplanes since it can be caused by a flu virus or RSV virus and I know I always get sick on planes. Come to think of it, she was sneezing a bit up at Maria's and from what I read about croup, it looks like a cold for the first few days. Anyway, the pediatrician put Lana on some steroids to keep the swelling down. We need to use the humidifier in her room and put her in the bathroom with a hot shower giving her steam if she's having trouble, but other than that, there's really nothing to do but wait it out. At least it doesn't usually last more than a few days.. So far she's still doing fine. She's still sleeping a lot and a bit more snuggly than usual, but no cough and is mostly acting fine. The gasping bit still scares me, but she doesn't do it often or anything. Poor thing!




She's napping again now, but maybe she'll be up for when Brent gets home if she sleeps a bit now.

1 comment:

Tara said...

I hope Lana gets better soon. Glad you two had a good time on your travels.