Thursday, April 24, 2008

Zoo Field Trip

I just want to start this by saying that field trips were a lot more fun when I was a kid. Thank goodness for all my wonderful friends there - especially Melanie and Elane!! Despite having nursed her right before we got in the car on our way to the zoo (about an hour's drive), Calli decides she's hungry as soon as we get there. She usually thinks she's hungry when she wakes up no matter if it's only been an hour and a half or two. We made it through a few little things and were on our way to feed the giraffes (or at least think about feeding the giraffes - more on that later) when Callista Anne starts screaming and will not accept her paci. Thankfully, Elane was able to take Lana ahead with her boys and Melanie and Jack while I sat on a bench to feed Calli. I got Calli fed and we caught up with the others who were patiently waiting in line to feed the giraffes. Well, as patiently as 2-3 year olds can be. Of course, no more than 15 feet from the front of the line, Elane's oldest has to go potty. They run (literally run) to the potty all the way back at the beginning of the zoo and make it back just in time. Calli's still not happy because she wants to be moving so I'm holding her with one hand and pushing the stroller with the other. Still, doesn't she look totally cute in her matching outfit and hat??



We were told to dress the kids in red so we could identify our school and the only red shirt Lana has is her Cars shirt. She refused to let me put any bows in her hair, wear glasses or any of the other frufru things that she usually piles on. Oh well, everyone who knows her knows she's a girl (and a girly girl at that). It wasn't worth the effort to get her to let me.



All the time we were waiting, Lana was all excited about feeding the giraffes. As expected, though, after waiting in line for about 20-30 minutes we get up to the giraffes and Lana freaks and starts backing up quickly.
She did better than she has at zoos in the past, though. She did let me hold her while I fed the giraffe.



Jack did great feeding the giraffe with Melanie, though! He is too cute.





Thankfully, Calli was out as soon as we finished feeding the giraffes and started moving again. I still love my double stroller!! It's days like this that I totally can't live without it!





Lana really liked this zoo better than she has in the past. She was less scared of the animals than she has been. I'm not sure if it was because she was with her friends (though we were with them last time) or just because it was smaller and she was above the animals part of the time making them feel smaller and more manageable (??).



She was still scared, as always, but she told everyone how much fun she had and told Brent all about it including the bear (whose cage she refused to get within 15 feet of) and asked to go back. I can't figure her out sometimes.



Here's Lana and Jack with their teacher, Ms. Marie, who they both love. We just found out Ms. Marie will be their teacher this summer and next year since she's moving up to the 2-year-old class. I'm so excited!! The kids love her. (And they love Ms. Kelly too, of course. I wish we could keep both of them!!)





Here are more of the kids, moms and teachers checking out more animals.



No comments: