Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Poor Little Sick Girls

I guess I should start with Calli's iron re-check appointment right after Thanksgiving. She's had a cough for a few weeks (months?) so I asked the pedi to check it out when they checked her iron. (Her iron is doing better but not there yet so we have to keep the supplements up.) Well, it was just a post-nasal drip and he said it could last weeks or months. By the following Wednesday, though, her cough was different and it was waking her up at night. So Thursday, after school (because that's when they could fit us in), we truck back to the pedi. He says yes, Calli does have an ear infection, happily prescribes us an antibiotic and we head home.

We're supposed to be leaving Friday for Houston but the antibiotic makes Calli naseous and she throws up a couple times Friday morning. After getting some food in her and getting her second dose to stay down, we pack up (a few hours later than planned) and head down to Houston. Calli wasn't herself all weekend. I kept waiting for the antibiotics to kick in, but Calli doesn't like change so I thought maybe it was a strange house, strange people, etc.

Well, we get home Sunday night and Calli is happy as a clam and I'm thinking we're done. Nope. Not so much. Monday morning, she's back to her extra cranky self and Lana has developed the same cough as Calli (who is mostly not coughing). Today I dragged all of us back to the pediatrician after school. He said both of them have ear infections (still for Calli). The antibiotics don't seem to be working. So he prescribes both of them heavy duty antibiotics (skipping the regular ones for Lana) and sends us back on our way -me with two screaming girls. I'm just hoping this round of antibiotics kicks these infections so everyone is well for the holidays.

3 comments:

Tara said...

It sounds like it's going around in Texas too! Evan has double ear infections and a lot of the kids I know have been sick with whatever's going around. I hope both girls are better soon!

Sean Ginley said...

Sorry the girls are having such a rough time! Now I understand why the blog hasn't been updated in awhile. Give them hugs from their uncle.

Amy said...

I hope they are feeling better! It's all this crazy weather making our immune systems suffer!