Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Recipe Wednesday - Baked Mac-n-Cheese

Ok, well this one is going out a little late and I haven't even tried this recipe yet. I forgot that I didn't have one scheduled for today so I grabbed a recipe from Laura's Recipes (a blog I read) that I've been wanting to try. It sounds really cheesy (which is what I like in my mac-n-cheese). If anyone tries it before I do, let me know how it comes out. Most of the mac-n-cheese recipes I've tried so far just aren't cheesy enough and tend to be fairly dry. Here's the one I'm going to try next, though (straight from Laura's blog):

Ingredients:

4 Cups elbow macaroni (I prefer cavatapi- it’s fun shaped and holds the cheese well)
5 Tbls butter
5 Tblp all-purpose flour
5 Cups milk (I prefer whole milk, because yum, but even skim works really well)
2 Tbls salt
1 Lb grated cheese (I use mild cheddar)
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350

Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, then rinse in hot water. Set aside.

Melt butter in a medium-large sauce pan.
Add the flour and cook until it is well mixed and slightly browned.
Add the milk and stir constantly until boiling and thickened. (Somewhere between 5-10 minutes. I’ve never timed it)

Add the salt, mix. Add the cheese and stir until it has fully melted.

Mix the pasta into the cheese sauce and pour into a 13×9 glass baking dish.

Bake 30 minutes or until browned and bubbling at the edges.

No comments: